The CAMEO Chemicals (Computer-Aided Management of Emergency Operations) is a database of hazardous chemical datasheets that emergency responders and planners can use to get response recommendations and predict hazards—such as explosions or toxic fumes.
They are offered at no cost by NOAA‘s Office of Response and Restoration
and EPA‘s Office of Emergency Management
This tool is part of the CAMEO® software suite and you may want to review the terms and conditions for using CAMEO Chemicals.
This program includes response recommendations and physical properties for thousands of hazardous chemicals. It also includes a tool for predicting possible hazards that could occur if chemicals mix.
Key Program Features:
- Search by name, CAS (Chemical Abstracts Service) number, or UN/NA (United Nations/North American) number to find chemicals of interest in the extensive database of thousands of hazardous substances.
- Review chemical datasheets for physical properties, health hazards, information about air and water hazards, recommendations for firefighting, first aid, and spill response, and regulatory information.
- Get information from additional sources using the U.S. Coast Guard CHRIS (Chemical Hazards Response Information System) manual, the NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) Pocket Guide, and International Chemical Safety Cards links on many chemical datasheets.
- Access UN/NA datasheets for response information from the Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG) and shipping information from the Hazardous Materials Table. ERG Response Guide PDFs are available in English, Spanish, and French.
- Predict potential hazards that could arise if chemicals were to mix.
CAMEO Chemicals is available in multiple formats: website, mobile website, desktop program, and mobile app (available in the App Store and on Google Play). Most program features are available in all formats, but there are a few features that depend on the format.
How CAMEO Chemicals Works:
Search through the extensive chemical database in CAMEO Chemicals to find datasheets with critical response information, including physical properties, health hazards, information about air and water hazards, and recommendations for firefighting, first aid, and spill response. Additional datasheets based on UN/NA identification numbers provide response information from the Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG) and shipping information from the Hazmat Table (49 CFR 172.101). On the UN/NA datasheets, ERG Response Guide PDFs are available in English, Spanish, and French. You can also make a collection of chemicals, and then use the chemical reactivity tool to predict what hazards could arise if the chemicals were to mix together.
Access CAMEO Chemicals:
More Information about CAMEO Chemicals:
- CAMEO Chemicals Fact Sheet [PDF, 815 KB]: Learn more about program features by reading this CAMEO Chemicals fact sheet.
- CAMEO Chemicals Development History: Read about the changes made in each release of the CAMEO Chemicals program.
- CAMEO News Service: Join this email list on the EPA CAMEO site to receive news and other helpful information from the development team.
- CAMEO Software Suite: Find out more about the four core programs—and several related programs—in the CAMEO software suite, which aids in hazardous material response and planning.